The Acupuncture Facelift
Cosmetic acupuncture is an effective, non-surgical treatment to reduce the signs of aging. It is based on the principles of Chinese Medicine, which involves the insertion of very thin disposable needles into the acupuncture points on the face. This superficial insertion will increase the local circulation to the face and stimulate collagen production, which will fill out the lines and give firmness to the skin for a healthy, glowing complexion.
Acupuncture has been used for thousands of years to treat many conditions and illnesses. The effectiveness of acupuncture has been related to the manipulation of the energy points on the body to balance and to remove blockages in the meridians (channels of blood and energy), in order to achieve health and to prevent diseases.
Cosmetic acupuncture has attracted great attention in the last few years, especially in the big cities like New York City and Los Angeles. It used to be a treatment only for the rich and famous in Hollywood, but now everyone wants the royal treatment.
"A 1996 report in the international journal of Clinical Acupuncture reported that among 300 cases treated with Cosmetic Acupuncture, 90% had marked effects with one course of treatment. The effects include: The skin becomes delicate, improvement of elasticity of facial muscles, ruddier complexion, and overall rejuvenation. "
What Are The Benefits Of Cosmetic Acupuncture?
Acupuncture for facial beauty is a wonderful, holistic, alternative approach to fighting the aging process. Cosmetic acupuncture may take 5-10 years off your face. It helps to eliminate fine lines and makes the deeper lines look softer. It can also help to minimize dark circles, puffy eyes, double chin, sagging skin, and dropping eyelids. Other benefits include:
- Relaxes muscle tone.
- Keeps acne skin under control.
- Clearing or reduction of age spots
- Erasing of fine lines and reduction of deeper lines.
- Increases circulation, therefore oxygenates the skin improves the face’s natural, healthy color, diminishes wrinkles and eliminates fine lines.
- Increases collagen production Promoting collagen production increases muscle tone and elasticity helping to firm the skin, fill out wrinkles, and reduce bags and sagging.
- Tightens the pores, and brightens the eyes.
- Stimulating the formation of body fluids. Nourishes the skin and encourages it to be moister, softer, smoother, and more lustrous.
- Nourishes the skin, giving you a healthy complexion with a natural glow.
- Moisturizes the skin from inside, and gives rosy cheeks to people with dull, tired looking skin.
- Healing physical, emotional and spiritual issues to reduce stress and improve overall health and well being. Since the body/mind/spirit are all connected, negative emotions reflect in the face and change the appearance of skin texture, color, and tension. Acupuncture can eliminate stress and bring out the innate strength, vitality and health. In addition to enhancing skin appearance, most people are pleased to find that their sinus problems, headaches, toothache, TMJ, PMS and menopause have either disappeared or their symptoms are distinctly improved! You will not only look younger but also most certainly feel younger.
- Excellent alternative approach without surgery. Acupuncture is far less expensive, more natural, non-invasive and safer than plastic surgery or botox injection(s), and has no side effects, toxicity, inflammation, or recovery time.
Who Would Benefit From This Procedure?
Anyone who wants to delay the process of aging and wants to look and feel younger. Anti-aging cosmetic acupuncture is less expensive, healthier, and safer than the modern treatments. It's virtually risk free and there are none of the side effects of face lift surgery, lasers, and injections like numbness, scarring, possible atrophy, and lengthy recovery time. Clients' faces will never look stretched, burned, puffy, or "banded."
Can I do Cosmetic Acupuncture If I Had Botox Or Other Cosmetic Procedures Such As A Surgical Facelift?
Yes, Cosmetic Acupuncture will maintain the effectiveness of botox, so it will save you a couple injections per year. If you have had traditional cosmetic surgery cosmetic acupuncture will help by keeping the tissues rejuvenated.
What Is The Course Of Treatment?
The course of the treatment is between 10-12 sessions. This will be done 1-3 times a week for best results. Each individual will respond different to the treatment depending on their age and lifestyle. Visible results will be noticeable after 6 -7 sessions. Maintenance maybe needed once every month.
Is Acupuncture Face-Lift Better Than Botox?
Reuters Updated: 4:47 p.m. ET Nov 4, 2004
PORT WASHINGTON, N.Y. - Sticking needles in your ankles might not seem like an obvious way to rid your face of wrinkles, but for Barbara Leivent, it’s better than plastic surgery or cosmetic injections.
Twenty-six needles pierce her ankles, knees, arms and face as she undergoes the first of a series of acupuncture treatments intended to erase the laugh lines around her mouth, crow’s feet around her eyes, scowl lines on her forehead and sagging at the sides of her chin.
“It’s better than going under the knife, that’s for sure,” said the suburban after-school tutor, 54, who blamed her facial wrinkles on “worrying if I should get Botox or not.”
In what might be called a Botox backlash, women from Leivent to Hollywood celebrities are trying acupuncture face-lifts, which proponents say can shave years off an aging face.
At the suburban office of acupuncturist Ping Zhang, a series of 10 hour long appointments every other day -- at $150 apiece -- is supposed to last six months or more. Other experts recommend monthly maintenance.
By comparison, Botox injections cost several hundred dollars per treatment, which last about three months.
Traditional surgical face-lifts can run anywhere from $5,000 to $20,000, but they last for years.
Dr. Scott Spear, president of the American Society of Plastic Surgery, says acupuncture may help with pain but such face-lifts have not proven to be effective or long-lasting.
“The idea that it’s going to make your face look younger and correct the things we know aging does, I think is very unlikely,” the Washington-based doctor said. “It’s not demonstrated to work,” he said. “You’re wasting your time and your money.”
No pain, no gain. The best part of her acupuncture face-lift, said Leivent, closing her eyes as Zhang tapped thin green-tipped needles into her skin, is that it’s painless.
“I feel nothing,” she said. “And I’m a horrible patient. I’m the worst.”
The needles stay in Leivent’s face about 20 minutes. Then it’s time for a first look in the mirror.
The laugh lines that had been deep are less so, while the scowl lines that had been dark are lighter.
“It’s wonderful,” she said. “Now I’m hooked.”
Acupuncture face-lifts work by balancing the body’s inner energy and letting it flow freely, said Zhang.
“We never talk about beauty being only skin deep,” she said. “That’s the real fountain of youth -- the inside.”
New York plastic surgeon Tabasum Mir said acupuncture face-lifts don’t last. “You’re paying a lot of money for maybe two months worth of tightening,” she said.
Days later, Leivent was still pleased, especially after a neighbor complimented her skin. “I think the creases on my forehead are dissipated somewhat, and also around my mouth,” she said after her second treatment. “It’s hard to tell on yourself.”
The toughest critic, alas, was her husband, who offered a “Yeah, I guess,” when asked if he could see a difference.
“We can’t go by him,” Leivent said. “I think it’s amazing. Just amazing."